Sunday, March 11, 2007

Last Laughs

woke up this morning with a bottle of whiskey
i’m sinken real fast do you wanna come with me
lets go

oklahoma city or new york
Louisiana or up North
lets go

roads headed south and roads headed north
spin the bottle baby lets chart the course
lets go

you can ramble around from city to town
got a girl to stick around
your always home

home aint a place but a state of mind
got a good girl with a big behind
your always home



Last Laughs
(before they become forced and insecure)


Can I get you another?
(I am asking myself this)

exploring the limits of my body and mind
or doing enough drugs to balance tight rope walker
high high high above us all to our amazement.
One one thing I can agree with the baby boom,
especially the blown up baby boom,
vicodin, oxycontin and a dab of xanax
is better than any promotion.
I have shit my pants
and in it,
there is romance.

After work once while one the way to the grocery store
a man told me the world was to end Easter 2007
which I realize now is my birthday.
He then asked me for a dollar.

Who has the time to read
and on what are our knowing glances based?
I feel like the only one grinning
at the supermarket.
I feel like the only one grinning,
sometimes.
Last night at work a waitress dropped a full tray
of steaks
seafood
and lobster...
salads, bread
on the starving floor. The whole restaurant stopped to stare,
then god eased up the volume knob.
As I helped her clean
I felt as if we had saved those meats
from hideous teeth.

But honestly
caught like a deer in headlights,
sobriety becomes me
and I still feel stupid.

Who has time to read honesty these days?
There are several fat women with Dean Koontz books
in the back office of the hotel where I work.
They are appreciative of heaping Nacho platters we bring them
then with thick fingers
they translate
tender bar conversations
mid-life crisis martinis
and confounding appetizers
into the capitol that fuels the hotel and restaurant.
These women are titans
and ought not be made light of.

Bruegel
I know well
beer, feasts and loose women.
I know too the joy
of painting it all.

So you are beautiful,
I mean that.
Not when you arrive,
but when you leave
flustered angry and older.
Fuck it,
waitress.
Become
a woman
who waits
and drink
and be barely
merry
and let
another treat you well
those fleeting
moments that remain
before 2:30am.


When it’s all said and done
(and it is, and it is)
I think I can die happy
knowing
rigamortis
causes an erection.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home