Thursday, April 07, 2005

Rainb Lady

It was raining. I had begun my walk when it was not. My shoes were soaked through. It wasn’t time to face a solem cheap meal with the other side of the table, so I kept walking.
So it was ironic when the lady sitting on the curb asked me for a light. She was soaked through too. I said no and walked past. But the image of her drenched face and running hair die caught up to me and I turned around.
“Are you allright?” I said? Startled she tried to get up by reaching for a suport that wasn’t there and fell heavily on her side. I helped her sit. She took my hand. She could have been anywhere from twenty five to fifty. Her hand was soft and her face clean in the rain. I couldn’t tell if she had runny make-up or black eyes or both. When she was sitting again her faded green eyes fixed on my, then slowly focused out on infinity
“I’m fine. I’m just light headed. I haven’t eaten anything.”
“Should I call somone?” She considered my sugestion, then snorted.
“No, I’ll be fine. Go ahead on your way.” A cop car drove by. I stood there for a moment, then adjusted my colar and walked to a gas station and bought a cup of coffee.
“Wet?” asked the asshole behind the counter. I took the cup back to the woman.
“Did I ask for a fucking cup of coffee? I have to start ‘not’ asking for what I really want.” I sat down next to her and sipped. Rain began to collect on the plastic lid. She seemed quite at home in the rain, as if manning a subway turnstile. I looked stupid.
“Damn it Mark, you have my lighter,” she said matter of factly to me, her eye’s fixing, then unfocusing again. I pretended to look for our lighter. Oil ran in the water streaming past the damn my shoes made. “You’re going to be late, Mark,” she said accentuating my new name.
“You think?”
“Yeah. Get out of here.”
I got up, offered my hand to her to help her up. She waved me off, and I kept walking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home